Ceramic Industry News

Alcoa Signs MOU With Government Of Trinidad and Tobago

June 2, 2004
/ Print / Reprints /
/ Text Size+
Alcoa has signed a MOU under which Alcoa and the government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago will build an aluminum smelter.

Alcoa has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) under which Alcoa and the government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago will build a state-of-the-art, low emission, environmentally friendly aluminum smelter with a capacity of at least 250,000 metric tons per year (mtpy) in Trinidad. The new smelter and related facilities -- including a power plant; a new anode plant; and downstream, fabricated opportunities -- are projected to cost in excess of $1 billion. The MOU calls for Alcoa to take at least a 60% ownership stake in the smelter, with a government state enterprise having responsibility for the remainder. Alcoa will take a lead role in the management and operation of the smelter and will have a right to 60% of the metal produced, while the government agency will have a right to the remaining 40%, with the commitment to make this metal available to downstream investors, including Alcoa, Sural of Venezuela and the Trinidad and Tobago manufacturing sector.

For additional details, visit http://www.alcoa.com.

Did you enjoy this article? Click here to subscribe to Ceramic Industry Magazine.

You must login or register in order to post a comment.



Image Galleries

September 2014 Issue Highlights

Our September 2014 issue is now available!

Posted: December 15, 2014


Manufacturing Day 2014

Manufacturing Day organizers share their insights with Managing Editor Kelsey Seidler.

More Podcasts

Ceramic Industry Magazine

CI December 2014 cover

2014 December

Be sure to check out our annual Services Directory and Business Guide, with additional articles on advanced glass components, ceramic grinding media, and more!

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Personal Smartphones

Do you use your personal smartphone or other device to complete tasks for your job?
View Results Poll Archive


M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\Ceramics Industry\handbook of advanced ceramics.gif
Handbook of Advanced Ceramics Machining

Ceramics, with their unique properties and diverse applications, hold the potential to revolutionize many industries, including automotive and semiconductors.

More Products

Clear Seas Research

Clear Seas ResearchWith access to over one million professionals and more than 60 industry-specific publications,Clear Seas Research offers relevant insights from those who know your industry best. Let us customize a market research solution that exceeds your marketing goals.


facebook_40px twitter_40px  youtube_40pxlinkedin_40google+ icon 40px


CI Data Book July 2012

Ceramic Industry's Directories including Components, Equipment Digest, Services, Data Book & Buyers Guide, Materials Handbook and much more!