- THE MAGAZINE
- Advertiser Index
- Raw & Manufactured Materials Overview
- Classifieds & Services Marketplace
- Buyers' Connection
- List Rental
- Market Trends
- Material Properties Charts
- Custom Content & Marketing Services
- CI Top 10 Advanced Ceramic Manufacturers
- Virtual Supplier Brochures
Owens Corning recently announced it has successfully achieved all seven of its original environmental footprint goals, and is making progress toward its 2020 goals. These results are included in its seventh-annual “Sustainability Report.” The company also reports its 11th consecutive year of safety improvement, including the introduction of a company-wide policy to eliminate cell phone usage while driving.
“The momentum of our 2012 success is helping us toward our ambitious 2020 goals,” said Frank O’Brien-Bernini, vice president and chief Sustainability officer. “Across our company, these goals inspire innovation, creativity, external collaboration and broad engagement.”
Building on the successes of its first 10-year goals, this is the second year the company is reporting against its 2020 goals. Introduced in 2011, the company’s 2020 goals were designed to expand the scope and further raise the bar on its commitment to sustainability.
As part of its progress toward the 2020 goals, the company has:
- Completed several greenhouse gas reduction projects while laying the groundwork for many others, including diesel-to-natural gas transportation fuel-switching, fuel cells, waste heat recovery, biomass, solar, and combined heat and power.
- Partnered with The World Resources Institute on its Aqueduct project to conduct a global water stress assessment of Owens Corning’s global operations and completed several successful major water use reduction projects in stressed areas.
- Released the first Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) for fiberglass insulation in North America.
- Donated enough insulation and roofing material to reroof 283 homes and insulate more than 1,000 homes for those in need.
- Strengthened its Supplier Code of Conduct (as an integral part of our supplier management program), as well as its Employee Code of Conduct to create explicit expectations relative to sustainability.
- Achieved more than 60% shingle recycling availability.
- Earned a perfect score of 100% on the HRC Corporate Equality Index (each year since 2004) and its own “It Gets Better Project™” video featuring OC employees sharing their stories in support of anti-bullying.
- Achieved listing on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index for the third consecutive year.
For additional information, visit http://sustainability.owenscorning.com.