- THE MAGAZINE
- NEW PRODUCTS
- CI Advanced Microsite
- CI Top 10 Advanced Ceramic Manufacturers
- Raw & Manufactured Materials Overview
- Classifieds & Services Marketplace
- Product & Literature Showcases
- Virtual Supplier Brochures
- Market Trends
- Material Properties Charts
- List Rental
- Custom Content & Marketing Services
Alcoa recently announced that it has formed a joint venture with Ma’aden, the Saudi Arabian Mining Company, to develop a fully integrated aluminum industry in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The joint venture will become a supplier of primary aluminum, alumina and aluminum products, with access to the growing markets of the Middle East and beyond.
In its initial phases, the joint venture will develop a fully integrated industrial complex, including:
- A bauxite mine with an initial capacity of 4 million metric tons per year (mmtpy)
- An alumina refinery with an initial capacity of 1.8 mmtpy
- An aluminum smelter with an initial capacity of ingot, slab and billet of 740,000 metric tons per year (mtpy)
- A rolling mill with initial hot-mill capacity of between 250,000 and 460,000 mtpy. The mill will focus initially on the production of sheet, end and tab stock for the manufacture of aluminum cans, as well as potentially other products to serve the construction industry.
Capital investment is expected to be approximately SAR 40.5 billion ($10.8 billion), subject to the completion of detailed feasibility studies and environmental impact assessments. Ma’aden will own 60% of the joint venture. Alcoa will control the remaining 40% of the joint venture through an investment partnership in which it will own 20% and its partners will participate through financing that represents the other 20% economic interest. Each of Alcoa and the partners will invest $900 million over a four-year period and will be responsible for their pro rata share of the project financing, in addition to specific completion commitments.
“Alcoa’s partnership in all aspects of this integrated industry brings with it enormous value not only in terms of technology, resources and experience, but also a proven commitment to sustainability,” said Abdallah Dabbagh, president and CEO of Ma’aden. “A focus on quality, alongside the robust economics of the project, will ensure its leading role in advancing Saudi Arabia and the region as a major hub for the aluminum and downstream sectors.”
According to Klaus Kleinfeld, Alcoa President and CEO, “This joint venture is a once-in-a-generation opportunity for Alcoa, for Ma’aden and for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. We are creating a fully integrated aluminum complex that will be the most technologically advanced and cost efficient in the world. By changing the operating dynamics and cost base within our industry, the complex will be a model for the growth of aluminum in competition with other metals and is designed with the potential for future expansion. The joint venture leverages the unique strengths of both Alcoa and Ma’aden to create substantial value for our investors, customers and partners.”
Alcoa will provide know how, management expertise and support during the design, construction and operation of the mine, refinery, smelter and rolling mill. Alcoa will also arrange the supply of alumina feedstock to the smelter from outside the Kingdom until the project refinery comes on stream. Alcoa and Ma’aden will work with leading international and local firms on the design and construction of the complex.
For additional details, visit www.alcoa.com or www.maaden.com.sa.