- THE MAGAZINE
- Advertiser Index
- Raw & Manufactured Materials Overview
- Classifieds & Services Marketplace
- Product & Literature Showcases
- List Rental
- Market Trends
- Material Properties Charts
- Custom Content & Marketing Services
- CI Top 10 Advanced Ceramic Manufacturers
- Virtual Supplier Brochures
Hanson Building Products says it believes the path to sustainability is through the people. Hanson’s commitment to rebuilding and improving our infrastructure for future generations is reflected by a comprehensive sustainability vision and plan developed and implemented by its employees.
The company’s sustainability vision statement, “Building on the past. Restoring the balance. Creating the future,” was created by the Hanson Building Products cross-functional, cross-divisional and cross-geographical Sustainability Task Force.
“The vision is disseminated from management to the field each day,” said Richard Manning, president of Hanson Building Products North America. “It incorporates key pillars needed for executing practical sustainability-the use of traditional, reliable building materials, recycling and repurposing products for infinite use, and dedication to the safety of our employees, infrastructure, and communities we serve.”
In addition, Hanson is demonstrating other measurable ways to showcase its leadership and commitment to sustainability. Its production and operational practices include:
- Appointment of a Sustainability manager for leadership in measuring and promoting sustainable practices.
- Reducing transportation costs and emissions through a network of manufacturing facilities and delivery capabilities, along with the utilization of local suppliers and service providers to ensure regional availability for products and services.
- Water saving and reuse techniques in its facilities.
- Reduced waste through recycling and/or reuse in the production of new materials.
- Proprietary LEED® calculator created and implemented for customer use and aid for LEED certification.
- Strategies to reduce paper and Styrofoam use, and recycling bins placed in offices and facilities.
Environment and Infrastructure sustainability practices include:
- Products recognized by USGBC for various LEED credits.
- Reduced carbon footprint and better overall lifecycle impact compared to alternative products.
- Ability for product reclamation and repurposing for use in building, infrastructure, and community projects.
- Rehabilitation of worked-out reserves into water sports facilities and nature reserves where communities of wildlife can thrive.
Occupational health and safety practices include:
- Safe and efficient operations practices.
- Team collaboration in executing safety programs and other preventative measures.
- Facilities’ completion of extensive industry certification programs for additional precaution and education.
Hanson’s continued focus on sustainability includes the following goals for 2010 and 2011:
- Increasing participation through product usage on LEED projects by 10%.
- Growing employee base of LEED Green Associate or Accredited Professional credentials by a minimum of two team members in each additional division within the company.
- Educating employees and increasing awareness about sustainability over 2009 levels.
- Developing a 2011 sustainability report for measuring standards and benchmarks.
“Being a responsible corporation is a concept that affects every facet of our business, the society in which we work and the world in which we live,” said Manniing. “Hanson has a history of inherent sustainability and will continue to focus on our advocacy of and our business practices to build a sustainable infrastructure for generations to come.”
For more information, visit www.hansonbuildingproducts.com.