Ceramic Industry

The Affordable Healthcare Act

December 4, 2012

When the Affordable Healthcare Act, dubbed "Obamacare," takes full effect in 2014, all businesses with more than 50 employees will be required to offer health coverage to full-time employees. In last week's CI CyberNews CyberPoll, we asked readers if their companies have begun to make cuts to offset this added expense. The majority of respondents' companies (58.3%) are not making cuts at this time, while the remaining companies (41.7%) are doing so.

When asked about companies' intended measures, responses came in as follows:

Other: 50%

Reducing hiring/decreasing workers' hours: 40%

Price increases: 10%

Layoffs: 0%

Comments included:

"The Affordable Healthcare Act should not affect my company because we are an organization that looks after its employees and already has a comprehensive health care plan in place." - Lance Caspersen, Morgan Thermal Ceramics

"This survey is very biased. It doesn’t take into account the moral companies that already provide health benefits to their employees. Healthy employees are an asset, not a burden."

"For #2, "all the above" would have been a more accurate response."

"Estimated overall savings will partially or fully offset any additional costs."

"Businesses should be offering health care to employees regardless. It's the right thing to do." - Owen Vaughan, Prairie Ceramics

"There are no measures to take, my company already offers health coverage."

"Small company; exempted from Obamacare."

"We have less than 50 employees."

 Are you interested in taking the industry’s pulse on a particular topic? Send your suggestions for CyberPoll questions to Kelsey Seidler at seidlerk@bnpmedia.com.

Many thanks to all of the CI CyberNews readers who have participated in our CyberPolls. Not a CI CyberNews subscriber? Follow this link to sign up for your free subscription!