Ceramic Industry Blog


Survey Says!

April 25, 2011
/ Print / Reprints /
ShareMore
/ Text Size+
Should overqualified, highly educated workers be passed over for entry-level jobs if there are no other jobs available?

We asked readers in last week’s CI CyberNews CyberPoll if overqualified, highly educated workers should be passed over for entry-level jobs if there are no other jobs available. Most of the respondents (76.5%) answered no, while the remainder (23.5%) do think those workers should be passed over.

Comments included:

“It seems to me like no matter what your qualifications/experience, employers often overlook all this to fill the empty position. If you’re ‘overqualified,’ hopefully you'll move up quickly.

“If they are willing to work for the compensation of the entry level, of course not.”

“It’s not about if there are not other jobs available for the ‘overqualified.’ It is about the question: can the company find someone else who will do the job just as well and require less pay. Right now, everybody needs a job. Even if the overqualified will work for the same compensation as those who are right qualified, the company has to consider the possibility of the overqualified person trying to move up, possibly at another company, as soon as possible.”

“Maybe they can see improvements or have knowledge that is of real value. They have learned how to think and apply that learning.”

“When the job market shifts, those workers will leave and take the job that matches their skill set and pay level.”


Are you interested in taking the industry’s pulse on a particular topic? Send your suggestions for CyberPoll questions to Kelsey Seidler at seidlerk@bnpmedia.com.

Many thanks to all of the CI CyberNews readers who have participated in our CyberPolls. Not a CI CyberNews subscriber? Follow this link to sign up for your free subscription!

Links

You must login or register in order to post a comment.

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

September 2014 Issue Highlights

Our September 2014 issue is now available!

Posted: December 15, 2014

Podcasts

Manufacturing Day 2014

Manufacturing Day organizers share their insights with Managing Editor Kelsey Seidler.

More Podcasts

Ceramic Industry Magazine

CI December 2014 cover

2014 December

Be sure to check out our annual Services Directory and Business Guide, with additional articles on advanced glass components, ceramic grinding media, and more!

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Personal Smartphones

Do you use your personal smartphone or other device to complete tasks for your job?
View Results Poll Archive

THE CERAMIC INDUSTRY STORE

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\Ceramics Industry\handbook of advanced ceramics.gif
Handbook of Advanced Ceramics Machining

Ceramics, with their unique properties and diverse applications, hold the potential to revolutionize many industries, including automotive and semiconductors.

More Products

Clear Seas Research

Clear Seas ResearchWith access to over one million professionals and more than 60 industry-specific publications,Clear Seas Research offers relevant insights from those who know your industry best. Let us customize a market research solution that exceeds your marketing goals.

STAY CONNECTED

facebook_40px twitter_40px  youtube_40pxlinkedin_40google+ icon 40px

Directories

CI Data Book July 2012

Ceramic Industry's Directories including Components, Equipment Digest, Services, Data Book & Buyers Guide, Materials Handbook and much more!