- THE MAGAZINE
- NEW PRODUCTS
Italy, Europe’s third-largest economy, is dealing with massive government debt. In last week’s CI CyberNews CyberPoll, we asked readers if they think the U.S. should join in bailout efforts of Italy. The overwhelming majority of respondents (95.7%) answered no, while the remainder (4.3%) do think the U.S. should help with Italy’s bailout.
“This is a country of people who do not wish to take responsibility for their own actions. We all have to make sacrifices; I sacrifice my time and effort to the company I work for. In return, they pay me so that I can care for myself and my family. Unfortunately, a lot of people do not understand this simple time-proven concept. It is this concept that keeps our economies balanced. Italy needs to make adjustments (just as the U.S.) to reach a sustainable economy. This may require sacrificing some nice things. It may mean longer hours at work, a higher retirement age or fewer government services. During the Great Depression, my mother’s family lived on carp that they caught in the canal next to their house, they grew corn and other vegetables, they ate less. It wasn’t steak and they didn’t get fat, but it kept them alive.”
“We have enough debt of our own. We need to get our fiscal house in order before we can help others. My questions is, “Where is all the money going to?”
“WE CAN’T AFFORD TO.”
“We have enough of our own problems, and couldn’t even afford our own bailout.”
“We are already the policemen for the world. Now we are supposed to bail out foreign countries that can’t afford their socialism?”
“We are in the same boat as Italy. How could we possibly give them money? We cannot take on any more debt.”
Are you interested in taking the industry’s pulse on a particular topic? Send your suggestions for CyberPoll questions to Kelsey Seidler at email@example.com.
Many thanks to all of the CI CyberNews readers who have participated in our CyberPolls. Not a CI CyberNews subscriber? Follow this link to sign up for your free subscription!