Corning Named 2019 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year
Corning Inc. recently announced it has been named a 2019 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year-Sustained Excellence recipient by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for continued commitment to energy efficiency.
Corning Inc. recently announced it has been named a 2019 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year-Sustained Excellence recipient by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for continued commitment to energy efficiency. “We’re honored to be named an Energy Star Partner of the Year for the sixth year in a row,” said Wendell P. Weeks, Corning’s chairman, CEO and president. “This recognition validates our ongoing commitment to sustainability and illustrates that how we do things is as important as what we achieve—for our employees, our communities, and our planet.”
Partner of the Year is the EPA’s most prestigious award, with the Sustained Excellence designation reserved for companies achieving Partner of the Year status several years in a row while also making continued improvements to their energy management programs. This is Corning’s sixth consecutive year earning Partner of the Year recognition and its fourth year achieving Sustained Excellence.
“I applaud the 2019 ENERGY STAR award winners,” said Bill Wehrum, EPA assistant administrator for Air and Radiation. “Their innovation and leadership enhance America’s economic competitiveness. Reducing costly energy waste improves air quality and public health while protecting the environment.”
Corning launched its Global Energy Management (GEM) program in 2006 to create and execute effective energy strategies. Today, the program has grown to include teams at every Corning facility around the world that implement energy- and water-saving projects, such as integrating water recycling systems, recycling heat generated by equipment, installing LED lights, and utilizing solar panels.
In its 2019 award application, Corning highlighted:
- Improving companywide energy productivity by 35% since 2006
- Cutting greenhouse gas emissions by more than 2.3 million metric tons since 2006, equivalent to the carbon dioxide emissions from nearly 250,000 homes in the U.S. over a one-year period
- Investing in renewable energy, including constructing a solar array at its plant in Oneonta, N.Y., and at two facilities in Taiwan
- Joining Apple’s China Clean Energy Fund
- Launching an Employee Community Solar Program, in which employees can source portions of their home’s electricity from community solar fields
- Achieving ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry at 20 global manufacturing plants since 2015
- Reducing energy intensity at its optical fiber and cable plants by 50%
- Providing high-tech equipment to help combat harmful algal blooms in the Finger Lakes region of New York and sponsoring an annual community meeting to educate the public on the impact of HABs
- Surpassing half a billion dollars in energy savings for the company since 2006
“The GEM teams at all of Corning’s facilities and plants around the world have really stepped up when it comes to looking for innovative ways to conserve energy and water,” said Patrick Jackson, director of GEM. “It is their dedication toward energy efficiency improvements that has led to Corning’s success and recognition with ENERGY STAR.”
Corning is part of a select group of manufacturers among the businesses and organizations earning ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year. All recipients were recognized on April 11 in Washington, D.C. In 2017 alone, ENERGY STAR and its partners helped Americans save $30 billion in energy costs.